Thursday, February 28, 2013

February 28

Power90 3-4 Strength: 38 minutes. I did once again eat a rice cake with PB on it before my workout.

Let me start by saying since I started backup on my fitness/health journey I have had knee pain.  My knees hurt.  I have lacked strength in them and even something as simple as walking up the stairs (or running, like I would typically do) I've had to clutch the railing and wince as I go up.  Clearly an area I needed to improve on.  I did some research yesterday at lunch and found some simple knee exercises I could do ANYWHERE, so long as I had a seat.  It doesn't require weights and it helps strengthen up all the tiny muscles around the knee to help stabilize it.  I did that last night before we headed to bed.  When we walked up to bed my knees felt fantastic.  Actually when standing I had a little bit of the shakiness in my legs like I had just had a great sex session, but sadly that wasn't the case.  Still a sack full of sperm.

Anywho - this morning 's workout was going great.  I was pushing further than I had the last workout during round 1.  Final exercise in every round is legs.  Round 1 is 5 sets of lunges.  I was feeling great and the knees were feeling strong and I got cocky.  Halfway through round 3 I didn't focus on my form and rushed it and sharp pain to my right knee.  I tried to push ahead but I couldn't lunge to my right leg, I couldn't push off of it.  Bummed?  Yeah.  I immediately started to think about the rest of my workout and how I could work around that.  I don't like working my legs.  I just don't, but I know its necessary, so I do it.  The next time it came time to do legs I sat on the bench downstairs and did my knee exercises for as long as it took Tony and crew to complete their lunge/squat sequence (about 4 minutes).  That really helped me It really really did.  When it came time for round 3 (3 part squats) and round 4 (max squats) I was able to complete those rounds and finish strong doing the exercises I was supposed to without issues.

Aside from the legs, the rest of my body is definitely getting stronger.  Chest - well I'm increasing how many pushups I do each workout so that is good.  Wrists, I didn't even need my pushup bars today to take the pressure off my wrists, so clearly they are stronger.  Back - yeah, I have to up the weight next time.  Biceps - no question I'm getting more reps with a higher weight.  Shoulders - tough, really tough.  I'm trying to really focus on this area with my form to insure I feel it, so I'm not pushing the weight too much.  Triceps, well again, I'm focusing on form (as I am with all exercises) and going slow with tricep exercises, but its going well.  DIPS - I kill them.  20?  Yeah - no issues there.  Oh you don't want me to do bent knees and make sure I go all the way down and extend my arms all the way up.  Yeah - I got that.  Overall I'm feeling stronger and already I see a change in my body.  I feel good.  Just have to keep up the work.  Tomorrow is another day and it's Cardio with Abs. Right now though its time to wake up kids and get everyone ready.  Oy.

EDIT:
OK - between my shoulders are really sore and tight.  I worked something good today. :)

No comments: